OxPal Medlink is a charitable and educational collaboration connecting doctors and medical students in Oxford with their counterparts in Palestine. Since its founding in early 2012, OxPal has grown exponentially and now engages over 200 students at all four medical schools in Palestine.
Using an online platform developed by its parent organisation, MedicineAfrica, real-time, small-group, case-based tutorials are delivered in a variety of specialties. These include: internal medicine, general surgery, paediatrics, psychiatry and ophthalmology. As well as this, we are also delivering postgraduate seminars in psychiatry and have branched out into frontier subjects such as ‘teach the trainer’ workshops.
As well as this, we are also delivering postgraduate seminars in psychiatry and have branched out into frontier subjects such as ‘teach the trainer’ workshops.
Receiving generous funds from FQMS and other charities, we have in the last academic year (2014/15):
- Engaged around 200 medical students in the West Bank and Gaza
- Delivered over 100 online tutorials
- Increased the tutor pool to 14
- Expanded to include students at all 4 Palestinian medical schools
- Offered undergraduate tutorials in 5 clinical specialties
- Began delivering seminars in postgraduate psychiatry education
- Delivered a pilot, near-peer-to-peer tutoring programme
- Expanded our administrative team with 3 additional academic coordinators
- Published work in 3 medical journals
- Presented at numerous international, national and regional conferences and symposia, winning prizes in 3
- Conducted a second, successful field visit to the West Bank.
Over the forthcoming year, we will continue our current expansion to address the needs of postgraduate trainees in the Palestinian territories, through recruitment of tutors at all levels to provide case-based tutorials, research training and mentorship for both undergraduate and postgraduate trainees.
Read more about the professional development project